External Drive Partioning Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by safetyobc, Oct 30, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I bought a 500 GB external drive to use with Time Machine and to use as external storage. I want to partition the drive (I think) to use 1/2 for TM and the other 1/2 for storage.

How many partitions do I need to selelct? 1? 2? I want to use about 160 Gigs for TM and the rest for storage. What file system (or format) do I need to choose? I am in the disk utility and it offers "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" Is that what I need to use for TM and for my storage?

Also I plan to do a backup of my current Tiger system using SuperDuper. I would like to have a boot-able copy of Tiger on the external Drive. How would I do that? 3 partitions? How much space would be needed for that?

I am using this with a Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 160GB if that will help any.

Thanks for any information you can offer

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I'd partition into 3 partitions -- one approximately the size of your internal to use with SuperDuper. The rest I would split between a time machine partition and one for storage. You can't put anything else on a SuperDuper clone drive as it would be erased next time you used Super Duper. This would work well, I thing.

Yes, Mac OS (Extended) Journaled is what you want.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Make sure you set your partition option to GUID, otherwise you won't get a bootable disk on Intel Macs.

4. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I have already partitioned the drive into 2. Can I partition the drive again to make 3? without erasing it. I have superdupered to 1 partition. Can I just divide the other partition into 2? Making the total of 3?