External Drive Problem- see screenshot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LightMast, Feb 27, 2008.

1. LightMast macrumors regular

Ok, I was using stuffit to expand a file on one of my externals. Stuffit hung, I couldn't kill it with a force quit, and I couldnt restart the machine (stuffit was stopping the restart), so I did a hard restart using the power button. Now OSX cant mount the disk at startup. If I power it on after OSX has started it see the disk and the file structure, but cant access the files. As you can see I cannot repair or verify the disk.

What can I do to try and salvage the data on this thing or repair the disk, thanks!

[​IMG]

-Kevin

MacBook Pro SR 2.4 17" Hi-Res 4gb Ram Mac OS X (10.5.2)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Have you tried connecting it to a different machine?

3. LightMast thread starter macrumors regular

I just connected it to my old g3 powerbook and it seems to be working fine. What does that mean? Thanks for the tip!

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Repair it from there and then put it back on your other mac. Probably just a glitch.

5. LightMast thread starter macrumors regular

I tried repairing the volume on another mac and was partially successful. It still wasnt able to repair the HFS volume Archive.

Like I said the other mac can access all the files. Strange....

Now back on this machine I am still unable to do any verification or disk repair.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Okay, if this is a western digital connecting via FireWire your problem is probably with the drive's FireWire port. They shipped some drives that had lemon ports that only worked with certain machines randomly. Your options are either use USB if you can or send it in under warranty.

7. LightMast thread starter macrumors regular

Its connected through USB. Thanks for all your input on this NAG!