Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
A partition on a WD MyBook seems to have corrupted - won't reliably mount, and can't be repaired by Disk Utility (which reports something like 'you can read the info on it but not save').

The other 2 partitions seem fine.

I'm wondering if I should be concerned that the whole drive will prematurely fail, and also whether the cause might have been a power-cut whilst the machine was on.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"A partition on a WD MyBook seems to have corrupted - won't reliably mount, and can't be repaired by Disk Utility (which reports something like 'you can read the info on it but not save').
The other 2 partitions seem fine."

My advice would be to get the data off of the unreliable partition IMMEDIATELY -- copy whatever you can to a DIFFERENT drive.

I've had individual partitions go bad on me, and the only solution to recover the data was to re-initalize the entire drive, and then "get at it" with data recovery software.

It could be a software problem (with the drive's directory), or...
It could be a hardware problem (bad sectors, etc.).

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
"A partition on a WD MyBook seems to have corrupted - won't reliably mount, and can't be repaired by Disk Utility (which reports something like 'you can read the info on it but not save').
The other 2 partitions seem fine."

My advice would be to get the data off of the unreliable partition IMMEDIATELY -- copy whatever you can to a DIFFERENT drive.

I've had individual partitions go bad on me, and the only solution to recover the data was to re-initalize the entire drive, and then "get at it" with data recovery software.

It could be a software problem (with the drive's directory), or...
It could be a hardware problem (bad sectors, etc.).

Thanks.

I'd already reformatted the partition - which now seems to be working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.