External drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anmldr, Apr 27, 2009.

1. anmldr macrumors member

I have a MacBook with Mac OS X and Windows Vista Pro installed. Having both of these OS installed as well as Xcode, this occupies a LOT of memory and there is very little else available. So, I have a 100 GB USB external drive. I am fairly new to the Mac and so need a little help. The USB port must be extremely sensitive. If anything barely touches the USB cord to the external drive, then Mac OS X cannot "see" the drive anymore and there is an error about properly ejecting a drive. The only way that I can get it to see the drive again is to boot into Windows Vista, restart and open Mac OS X again.

I have tried just unplugging the drive and plugging it back in. This does not work. Is there a way to reboot the drive without shutting down and opening up Vista? Sure, I know to be careful and try not to touch the cord. But, it is extremely sensitive and I don't know how to completely prevent touching it.

Your help is appreciated.
    Linda

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The problem is more likely with the cable rather than with the port. Do you have another cable you can test with?

What format is the drive using? If you don't know, you can see this by selecting the drive in Finder and going to File -> Get Info.

3. anmldr thread starter macrumors member

MS-DOS (FAT32).

Thank you,
    Linda

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

+1 - if it's as sensitive as you're describing, I suspect a cord.

You might also explore a new drive - a 100 Gb drive might not cost too much more than a new cord.

5. anmldr thread starter macrumors member

Is there another way to re-boot the drive? Shouldn't it be plug and play?

Linda

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Unless the drive is running its own OS, I'm not sure what you mean by re-booting the drive. Yes, it should be plug and play, unless it has some sort of firmware at work (like a NAS or Time Capsule) - then there might be some sort of setup required.

7. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I too agree, your problem sounds more CABLE than anything else. I sugest first get a new cord, if the problem does persist then try using[borrowing] a different ED.
    But I'm sure it is a cord issue...

Let us know what type of ED you have that might give us a bit more of an idea to help you!

:apple: