external drive questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furcalchick, May 22, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm going to be setting up an external firewire drive tonight after my scare from last night involving a bad program and kernel panics, and i have a few questions about how i want to set it up how i want it to set up.

firstly, it's going to house data from multiple computers (mac and various pc files from several other computers).

secondly, i would like it to be able to boot a clean version of os x 10.4.8 as well as back up all of my data so that i don't lose it. i'll be using superduper (the free version for now) to back up my data on my mac.

thirdly, i need to access the files of the external hard drive from any computer in the house, due to #1.

thanks for your help, i know it's alot of requests.

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

For now, OS X.4 doesn't support writing to NTFS drives, which really sucks. HFS+ is great, but Windows won't natively recognize it, requiring drivers or a program to read from and write to a HFS+ partition.

Your best bet is multiple partitions, one for Mac-only (HFS+), one for PC-only (NTFS), one for files you will be sharing between the OS's (your best format would be FAT32, despite its 4GB filesize limit), and your OS X boot partition (HFS+).

I really hope Leopard's release will find a way to read/write NTFS.

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think i'll just keep the drive mac-only for now at least, as it looks like it's pretty complex and alot of hassle. and i have other backup methods for my pc. here's the plan now.

three partitions (all mac)

1. bootable backup (around 80 gigs)
    2. fresh install backup, also bootable (5-10 gigs)
    3. data, not bootable (the rest)

thoughts?

4. johnmacfan macrumors newbie

How exactly do you partition the external drive to use with the boot camp ( PC ) and the mac? I have a MBP and would like to get an external drive to store files because my drive is getting full. Thanks in advance.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Sounds great, especially if you'd image your drive once a week to the 80GB partition. How big of a drive are you thinking about?

7. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my internal is 80 gb, my external is 320, so plenty of space.

and i decided to go against the fresh boot partition of os x (for now), as i saw that was going to be really too much work.

and one more thing, i heard from the mac genius that i can't boot from my macbook to my external using usb, but there are some articles i read that say otherwise, and that i can boot from the usb (with the intels). i hope i can boot via usb, because my firewire is not working right now.

i may upgrade to 10.4.9 in the next few days.

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

updates

update: made a backup of my hard drive using superduper and according to the startup panel in system preferences, it's a bootable drive from my usb port on my macbook. but i have two more concerns.

1. i'm planning to host transferred windows files in one of the partitions via network of the other computers, will i have to reformat it so that the others can dump their files over? i have my mac files over there too though.

2. i'm mulling over having a fresh install in a new third partition of the drive, for instance when 10.5 comes out as a fresh version of that or to have a fresh install of 10.4.8 handy in case both my main and backup files are inaccessible. i heard you have to change this partition to guid from the master format it is in default for this to be a bootable partition, but that will also mean the hard drive will become unusable for any other computer expect this one. can someone help me with this?

and i think there should be a section on external hard drives and booting on the mac guides, as this looks to be a major issue and no central sources around.