External Drive Raid 0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macinstall11, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Macinstall11, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

Macinstall11 macrumors newbie

I don't know where to post this, please feel free to move the post if needed.

I have an External SSD Thunderbolt Raid 0 (2 x 500).
    https://www.lacie.com/products/d2/#specs

LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 1
    (old model, unlisted, it's like any other d2)

Before I begin let me point out that for some reason when I connect it to Windows (via Thunderbolt) it's not recognized unless I have the program "Mac Drive" installed, why is that? please explain.

Could someone please help me with:

1.- Removing Raid 0 on Mac OS, basically I want two separated drives.

2.- Format it or something so Windows can natively detect it without Mac Drive (is this possible?)

Please and thank you!

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I don’t know the answer, but maybe you can list the specific hardware that you’re using? That might help narrow it down.

3. Macinstall11 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true, the problem is I don't have it right now, I will try to find the model on the web

4. mick2, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

mick2 macrumors member

Windows and Macs have different file formats.
    Windows file format: NTFS
    Mac file formats: HFS+ or APFS
    I cant say why you installed 'Mac Drive', but this is a program to allows you to access Mac-formatted drives under windows, so i'd start there. Check the format of the drive. If its Mac format you need Mac Drive to read/write to the drive under windows.

If you want to change this then reformat the drive in a format that both systems can read/write to. A good choice would be exFat or Fat32.

See here for Lacie's instructions on how to do this: http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2-tbt2/formatting

This is a Lacie-specific question but I don't think it is easy to split the disks in the preconfigured D2 mirrored drives. Google might say otherwise though.

HTH

5. leman macrumors G3

I think you should be contacting Lacie customer support with this.

6. Macinstall11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help! and will do so

The main problem was I needed the product serial number, which I don't have because I won't be home till mid Oct, but I will contact them :)