External Drive Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ECUpirate44, May 26, 2010.

1. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Does anyone have a preference? Click Free, Seagate, or Western digital? Anyone have bad experiences with any of these drives?

I am considering: All 500GB

clickfree C2N
    Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra-portable Drive
    Westen Digital My Passport for Mac

Thanks!

2. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably, it's been a while since I've looked at the list. I don't put too much stock in brands... every manufacturer is as bad as any other. Just make sure the drive has a 5-year warranty. WD and Seagate have the easiest return procedures.

I buy drives expecting them to fail; get a bare internal drive and an external enclosure. When the first drive fails you can just swap in a new one.

4. flipangle macrumors regular

I have have had failures with internal drives from both WD and Seagate. I used to swear by Seagate. Not anymore. A few months ago I bought an external Seagate drive. It was dead on arrival. Afterwards, I looked up the reviews for the drive on Amazon and many other people had similar problems. I don't know how the Seagate internal drives are but apparently their external drives are currently not reliable. Stick with WD for external drives. I have had several for several years with no failures yet.