Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
right, i have a HFS formatted 500gb external drive which i use everyday, but today spotlight just keeps indexing it, it has a lot of media on it which i access daily so spotlight is needed to search it.

how can i fix this?

i mean its been indexing for a good 2 hours.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I have a problem with something similar to this.
mds when I have my external drive connected, runs at about 170-200+ MB (RSize). And it's quite frustrating, I've tried a lot, from changing permissions of the hidden Spotlight folders in the root of the drive, to playing with privacy settings, and it always just ends up reindexing which takes about 3-4 hours and makes my computer run HOT and use 100%+ CPU.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I have a problem with something similar to this.
mds when I have my external drive connected, runs at about 170-200+ MB (RSize). And it's quite frustrating, I've tried a lot, from changing permissions of the hidden Spotlight folders in the root of the drive, to playing with privacy settings, and it always just ends up reindexing which takes about 3-4 hours and makes my computer run HOT and use 100%+ CPU.

Similar discussion if not having a Spotlight index will work for you:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/309194/

If you need Spotlight, it might be a corrupted index file, in which case you might consider deleting it and letting it reindex.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Similar discussion if not having a Spotlight index will work for you:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/309194/

If you need Spotlight, it might be a corrupted index file, in which case you might consider deleting it and letting it reindex.

I've tried all of that already. And every time I delete it, or add the metadata_never_index etc. It just indexes again and then I'm back where I started, I just hope SL will fix it, or even 10.5.8.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Sounds to me like you need to completely start over. Delete your Spotlight index, then have it re-index everything. Or have you tried that already as well?

Already tried that..
I have noticed MDS increases in RSIZE whenever Time Machine is backing up, it goes up to about 200MB and stays at about 170~.
Isn't it supposed to return to about 20MB?

Edward Tippins

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
How do I stop Spotlight from indexing

Hello,

I'm a newbie to the Mac World, but wanted to give it a try. I have a MacBook Pro notebook (Leopard) and am very impressed with what I see.
My problem: I've been transferring files from my USB's to the hard drive with some success, but suddenly, Spotlight started indexing the USB drive. I don't know how to stop it or why it's happening. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
@ Edward: Navigate to System Preferences, then Spotlight (in the first row), and finally to the Privacy tab. Drag and drop the external hard drive icon from the desktop to the white area in the Privacy tab. The drive should stop indexing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.