external drive/stoarge for music and media files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoeshine, Aug 19, 2010.

1. shoeshine macrumors member

hey,

i am the proud owner of a new 13" mac book pro, which i am about to install a OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD in. I'm am trying to figure out my best options for media storage NOT on the SSD which will really only be system files and my email as I mostly work off a shared server in the office for my documents. I'm also going to use the stock HD in a FW800 mini enclosure for time machine backups.

I do however have an itunes library on my computer, as well as some movies which i was thinking i would transfer to a small external storage device, either a SD card or USB stick, probably a 16 or 32GB size. i don't need any more than that, and would prefer something small and unobtrusive i can use to keep from constantly transferring media files on and off my computer. in terms of performance and reliability, which option would be the better? are read/write speeds any faster or slower on one over the other?

thanks!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Speeds are better via the USB option. The SD Card reader in the MBP's are 240Mbit/s, whilst USB2 is 480Mbit/s.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In real world, USB 2.0 is not able to achieve those speeds. A normal speed for USB 2.0 HD is ~35MB/s and the fastest USB thumb drives can barely hit 30MB/s, mainstream drives having speeds of 20MB/s or so. Anyway, there won't be a huge difference in speed between SD card and USB stick, do you want a dongle to stick out of an USB port or not?

Also, 32GB SD card will cost you around 100$ while 32GB USB flash drive can be had for about 50$

4. shoeshine thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys. i can live with the USB dongle depending on size. I don't think those speeds are going to make much of a difference just for an itunes library, so i may go with the cheaper cost per GB USB stick option.

Any tips on best brands for USB sticks or Sd cards in the 16 or 32gb range? i know speeds and quality can vary greatly.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Sandisk are pretty decent. Good reputation, I have a USB from them and it performs great. Check 'em out