External Drive stopped copying files, wont cancel...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grizzlybrice, Aug 5, 2009.

1. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

I am backing stuff up to an external drive (G-Raid 1TB, if that matters), and the process will randomly stop and not allow me to cancel out the copy process once it does so.

I have had multiple problems with many drives (lacie and g-raid) in the past before, on different machines (G5 tower, mac pros, intel imacs, etc) so for some reason in my head I figure it as random.

I'm guessing there's a hiccup somewhere... They're all formatted correctly to handle large files, and I know it's not good, but if it hangs up and I pull power or shut down, it'll unfreeze and remount (about 80% of the time success rate, 20% of the time it wont even show up, not even in disk utility...). This also occurs when I am going from external drive to external drive and internal drive to external drive. It seems very random...

[edit] Oh, and finder seems to stall out too (like it is now) and when I try to relaunch it, it will not come back until one of the drives that is causing the problem is disconnected from the computer...

Thoughts?

gB

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

With all drives? If it's just one I'd suggest drive failure is a possibility...