External Drive suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BilltheCat, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I want to add an external drive for my iMac but dont know much about them for macs. Who's products for mac do you all like for drives?

Thanks in advance!:D

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have a LaCie 3 interface drive...has FW 400, FW 800 and USB 2.0, its really a good drive. I'd recomend it...I also have a Maxtor USB 2.0 and 1.1...I had erase it when I first got it(even thought there wasn't anything on it) to allow me to put things on it, but it was on sale, so I don't care. Works fine, but I like the LaCie drive more, if you can get FW 400 and USB 2.0(FW 800 is nice, but few computer have it)

FW 400 is nice for your computer( a Mac) but if you need to using on a PC, not all have FW 400, so USB 2.0 is nice to make sure it works with most computers.

3. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

It would be

for the imac thanks! I will look at that model!

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

5. dailo macrumors regular

The APRICORN enclosure is pretty well known and from all the benchmarks it's one of the top performers, but they are a little pricier. I think getting an enclosure and then getting a SEAGATE drive will be your best bet because it will be cheaper and you'll be able to take advantage of the 5 year warranty.

6. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

I was in the same spot your in....luckly i had an extra harddrive laying around...i went to my local electronics store and bought a harddrive enclosure which works flawlessly and is a million times cheeper then buying a external harddrive....u can always get a cheep harddrive on ebay!

7. -Alan- macrumors member

I'm curious to know if you can transfer files from a window's machine to a Mac using one of these external drives. Will the Mac try to reformat the drive instead of reading it?

8. mergemedia macrumors member

mergemedia

9. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

There is a app in OSX called Migrate...explore that i'm sure you'll find an answer

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I would recommend searching the forum - there really must be countless threads asking this very same thing...it comes up at least every week....oh yeah!

11. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

the most important thing I'd say it to get a a drive with firewire. Firewire works SO MUCH better than USB. Get a firewire one. That is one of the biggest things.

The Stig