External Drive Takes a few Seconds to Load Projects... Normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elgrayso, Mar 15, 2015.

1. elgrayso macrumors member

I upgraded to a Mac Pro, but had to move my projects and music to an external. I got the OWC 2TB drive because it was supposed to be fast and dependable.
    I have had it for a month or so, but lately I've noticed that it takes a bit (5-12 seconds) to spin up when I try and open a project in it. It's like the harddrive is "sleeping", but I have my settings unchecked on "put harddrives to sleep when possible." I am just making sure that this is a normal thing that external hard drives do.
    I haven't noticed this issue with my seagate externals, but I only use those for media such as movies. The movies open instantly with no problem though, so I don't know why the OWC has to "spin up" like it is unprepared.

Thanks for any help :)

2. chogue23 macrumors member

The option to keep hard drives from sleeping does not work with external drives, because they are designed to power down to save energy. You can fix that problem with a free app from MacUpdate called Keep Drive Spinning. What this does is will access the drives every so often to keep them from going to sleep.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31158/keep-drive-spinning