External Drive/Time Machine Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by espndeportes, May 7, 2008.

1. espndeportes macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just updated a few days back to Leopard. I have an external firewire HD that I'm using for time machine, but I really just want to back up like once a week, not every hour, which seems excessive.

Anyways, when I plug in my external drive to backup, Time Machine recognizes it and I tell it to back up and it works fine. However, the problem I've having is that finder doesn't recognize the drive, so I can't use it or eject it, so I'm forced to turn it off and I get the "device removal" warning saying I have to eject the disk, but I can't find that option.

What gives? Is there some option in time machine that I need to check?

Thanks!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I can't think of any reason why the finder wouldn't see the drive. However, you could launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities folder). The drive should show up there. Click on the drive name and click Unmount along the top.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You may have it disabled in Finder preferences. Go into the Finder Preferences and see if "External disks" is checked or unchecked in the General tab and Sidebar tab. You can enable both or just one of them, it's your choice. If they are checked, try toggling them off and on.

See if that makes a difference.

4. espndeportes thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it, no difference. This is frustrating because I want to be able to access files saved on the hard drive.

Any other ideas.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This has me confused. What do you mean updated back to Leopard?

What version of Leopard are you using and how did you update?

I would suggest that the Finder is corrupted and that you download the 10.5.2 combo updater.

Then boot into "Safe Mode" and apply the combo update. After you reboot, run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on your boot volume.