External drive to store HDV footage: G-Tech or Seagate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Mar 30, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I need a drive that I can store my HDV footage and edit from. I'm not a proffessional, but I don't want anything that will be significantly slower than editing from my internal hard drive. I know the Seagate FreeAgent Go got a great review, so I was thinking of going with the FreeAgent Desk because I don't really need the portability and I could use the 7200rpm over the 5400.

How does G-Tech compare to Seagate? I was looking at the G-tech Q drive which had almost identical specs except for E-sata (which I can't use), and it's only a little more. Their website recommends RAID drives for video editing, but I don't think I'll need that because I"m not a professional. I'm willing to spend a little more, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount for a hard drive. Which drive to you think will give me the best performance for editing my HDV footage on my current setup? [iMac from signature]

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

historically, g-tech like most other external HDD companies who aren't drive manufacturers, uses whatever drives they get their hands on, so you may very well end up with a Seagate at heart anyhow....

However, they where acquired by Hitachi last month so who knows at this point. Maybe you get a great Hitachi drive now if you order direct from them. There's really no telling.

I would absolutely suggest a 7200rpm drive with a FW800 interface for video stuff. FW400 at minimum.

3. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

FW400 is too slow for HDV (I've tried). FW800 should be fast enough, right. So since I don't need RAID (or do I?) I guess I'll go with the seagate. It's a better deal.