External Drive Triggering Grey Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slimpunk, Jul 11, 2010.

1. slimpunk macrumors member

Ok guys, this is kind of long, so please bear with me...

A little while ago I build my own SATA drive using an enclosure from Addonics, and two 750GB Seagate drives. I had it connected with eSata to my Mac Book Pro 2.0 Core Duo, and using RAID 1 mirroring. The eSata card is a Wiebetech Express 34 card.

Everything had been working fine and dandy, until one day I plugged the enclosure in, and I suddenly got the grey screen of death telling me to shut down my computer. After restarting, I tried plugging the drives in again, only to get the same thing.

So after all manner of switching cables, eSata cards, and reinstalling drivers, I still had the same result. So I tried something else - I took out one of the Seagate drives and threw it in a Firewire 400 single enclosure made by Acomdata. After turning that drive on, I still got the same error message. I tried the other mirrored drive, and again, the same grey screen of death.

So at this point I wondering if both my drives, with the exact same data on them, are completely corrupt. Neither one of them is making that terrible clicking sound that seems to happen to dying drives. But I can't fathom what happened to both drives that would cause such an error. I created a mirrored setup for the exact reason that if one drive failed, surely I would have the other one left...:(

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? I am totally prepared to pay for data recovery on these drives, but it would really help to know what I'm dealing with here.

Thank you so much!

2. slimpunk thread starter macrumors member

Nobody has any thoughts on this? I could really use the help.