External drive, User accounts, itunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NicoleRichie, Dec 25, 2007.

1. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

I have read a few forums about this issue and I am not sure how to solve my problem after a few failed attempts. I have two user accounts on my imac (OS 10.5) both with admin user privileges. My itunes library is located on an external drive (about 120 gigs worth of music and 40 gigs of video if it matters). I can not get the second accounts to link or recognize the library on the external. What do I need to do to make this happen? Thanks in advance. NR

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you tell iTunes the music library was on the external drive?

3. NicoleRichie thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes the path is set correctly. Do I have to import one song at a time again from the external to the second account so it can index it? That seems like a lot of work. Any other advice?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hold down the option key while launching iTunes. It will then given you a dialog box which gives you the option of choosing which library to open. Choose the library on your external, and it should open just fine.

5. NicoleRichie thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried this as well the message I get is "An iTunes library file could not be found in the folder iTunes please choose another folder. Now that I am looking at this. The external drive does not have the itunes library data it is only the music. What do I need to do to correct this. Is it as simple as copying the data file to the external?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, it should be

7. NicoleRichie thread starter macrumors 6502