External drive: Which for a Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kenglade, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

I recently bought a Macbook Air to go with my iMac, principally to use as repository for large pix files when I'm traveling. Rather than jamming up the Air's HD, I'd like to transfer the pix to an external drive. A flash drive would suit this purpose, right? bUt I'm think an external drive also would give me the ability to load a new program on the Air without having to first load it on the iMac and then transitioning it to the Air.

BTW, I'm a recent convert to Apple and I'm still trying to learn the Mac system after many, many years with MS.

Suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Need more info.

Do you need to access this external HD over the internet? Do you want it portable? Do you want it hooked up to the Air? Do you want it hooked up to the iMac?

Lots of options. Need some info.

3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

My apologies for not being precise. What I'm looking for is a portable drive I can connect to the Air via the USB port. I'd like to download photo files either directly from my camera or via a card reader to the Air, then transfer them to the portable drive. If you're a photographer, I'm shooting Nikon RAW so the files are quite large. When I get home I can move the files from the portable (external) drive to my iMac for postrprocessing.

I do not plan to use the external for the Internet, but strictly for connecting to the Air and the iMac. It will be a storage drive only.

4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I would get a MyBook, they are sleek and would do exactly what you need it to do.

5. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks. Let me see if they have a small one. I have a 500GB on the iMac and it's pretty bulky.

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Check out the WD Mybook Passport.

7. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed, that seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks, guys.