External Drive Won't Mount

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mushrooshi, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Well.

After recently partitioning my external hard drive with iPartition, it seems as if my MacBook won't mount the drive. However, when I connected it to my sister's Dell, it works. What gives?

I tried Disk Utility, it just hangs. I tried to open terminal, then do "diskutil list", and it hands as well.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

How did you partition it? What format did you make the drive partitions? If you made an NTFS drive, Mac OS X can't read write that file system. There a few MacFUSE: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ by google might help, but there is also another program made by Paragon:http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/paragonntfsformacosx.html

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Although it may not be connected (as I didn't partition it), I have a Western Digital Passport hard drive that I've been having problems with using on my Macbook Pro (with Leopard 10.5.3).

When I connect the drive to my MBP, it takes a long time to mount, then after a couple of minutes it dismounts, then I have to disconnect it and reconnect it and it continues to do the same.

However, when I use it on my Dell XPS, it works flawlessly.

Could this be a bug with external drives in 10.5.3?

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Correction to Varmit's statement:

OS X CAN READ but NOT WRITE to NTFS, this fact however should not effect if the drive mounts or not.

What type of drive is it? USB or Firewire? What brand?

I wish Apple would have not broken Disk Utility in Leopard...you'd think they would have gotten that one right...I have had issues with it since day one. It's either way slow, or doesn't work at all.

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

My drive's a Western Digital USB.

6. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

All are FAT32, 4 partitions total.

It won't mount, but iPartition and a few other utilities can recognize it. None of these utilities are by apple.