external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brenda TN, Jun 11, 2012.

1. brenda TN macrumors newbie

I have a macbook. Running Mac Os 10.68 Have 211 GB open. 4 GB memory. I have lightroom 4 running on it.
    I have one Western Drive my passport and have it partitioned 250 memory and 250 for backup. It has quit backing up. I have over 3000 pictures on the storage side that are fine right now.
    Could someone give me advise on my next move? I was looking at the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive for $99. Then thinking about reformatting the old drive and see if it will backup and use new one for my pictures. I was trying to empty my hard drive since I am shooting raws and knew it would fill up fast.
    Money is an issue. I would like to go around $100.
    It is my understanding that I would have to upgrade operating system to use icloud to Lion.
    Believe me I know just enough to use buzz words about all this and be dangerous.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I suggest an external 1 TB usb drive. 211 GB free space is not that bad but I would definitely upgrade to a larger external drive. I would format the new drive as one big HFS+ partition before putting any data on it. Then move all the stuff off the other drive, leaving it empty. Reformat the old drive as one 500 GB drive and resume using it for backup.

You mentioned a $100 budget. If you could spend a little more, I suggest a firewire external drive. First of all, it frees up your USB ports for other things. Second of all it's faster. Third of all you can daisy chain other FW drives if you want to. I found some on Amazon.com ranging from $130. I don't like the Seagate line of drives because I bought one of their network drives that said on the box it was supposed to support ftp only to find out I had to pay a subscription to make that feature work. I tend to stick with LaCie and WD for drives these days.

As for upgrading to Lion, I have had good results with Lion and I recommend it. I suggest that before you get Lion, you get your external drive situation figured out and have a fresh new Time Machine backup before you download Lion. Lastly, when you do download Lion, make a backup of InstallESD.dmg from inside "install osx lion.app" so that you can make yourself an install USB stick or DVD if you ever need one BEFORE you allow Lion to install because it deletes the install app as part of the Lion install process and you are stuck with a recovery partition that requires you to download large chunks of the OS over again if you ever need to reinstall.

3. brenda TN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for this info. It has helped. What about this one at Amazon? Western Digital My Book Studio 1 TB FireWire 800 External Hard Drive for $131.00. Do I need to be concerned about Usb 3.0 or would that even matter on my macbook?