External Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smogsy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i'm looking for a good external drive... for my macbook and Vista Pc (which maybe a mac pro soon)

im unsure which external drive to go for aswell as the interface. as i would like all of my computer to benefit from the drive.

What interface should i go for Firewire 800 or Ethernet..

i heard Ethernet drives can be very slow.. but i would like all my computers to benefit from the drive

drive will be holding
    Music libraries
    Videos
    Other storage (400GB of Photo shop files)

ive been looking at the my Book by WD Ethernet version is reviewed as crap is fireweire the same, i know a few users have this drive so would your experience :)

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have the OWC Mercury Elite 500GB
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/800+USB2/

I got the model with FW800 on it. Very happy with it so far.

-Kevin

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you want network storage, you could go with TimeCapsule. My preference would be to get a firewire external plugged into the desktop, then share the drive with the MacBook. I'm also a fan of getting a good external enclosure and putting in your own drives. I like this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW912AL2/

You can get it with different connections. It also holds two drives, so you can slap in a couple 500GB drives, or whatever you need.

That said, if you're getting a MacPro, you'd save money by just putting in an extra hard drive or two and letting your MacBook store files on one of those. The MacPro holds 4 drives, I believe, so getting an external is probably overkill.

4. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a