External Drives at Apple Stores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hexonxonx, May 12, 2008.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of external drives if any are sold at the Apple stores. I am particularly interested in 1TB and over. I hate BestBuy and CircuitCity because they only offer one or two 1TB drives in store and the rest have to be ordered. I want to be able to go buy one today if possible.

Thanks

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you look at the Apple Store online, the drives there are for the most part what you'll find in-store. Not a huge selection, and mostly chosen for how it looks sitting next to your Mac. I think the only 1TB drive they've got is the Time Capsule, but 500GB & 750GB are to be had easily. YMMV.

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I ended up ordering the Lacie 2 big triple 1TB drive from the Apple store and it just got delivered. This thing is made out of metal and is very heavy. Though it is Raid0 and Raid1 capable, I bought it to store itunes music and videos on. I may just order a second one to use with Time machine eventually.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

apple store is going to be quite a bit more expensive and have less choice. I'd go with fry's... you can pick up a 1tb for $200 these days.

5. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

We don't have Fry's here. I already purchased a Lacie 2 Big 1TB. I ordered it online and had it overnighted. I've been using it now for a full day and plan on getting a second.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. Why you would go to Apple.com to order a 3rd party product is crazy to me. It's too expensive.

7. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

the Lacie drive I bought was the same price on tha Lacie website so it made no difference where I bought it from.

(I hate iPhone spelling corrections)

8. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I am also in the market for an external hard drive, however I may go with the esata interface.