external drives for a MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I am looking for an external hd for my MBP. I would like a 7200 rpm 500 gb usb2, firewire 400/800 spec.
    Some that I saw were a Freecom HardDrive Pro, a Western Digital 500GB My Book Pro, and a Maxtor OneTouch3 500GB.
    Could anyone please advise on which might be a better choice? Are Freecom drives good quality? Thanks for any advice.

2. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Never owned a Freecom. I prefer the Maxtor OneTouchIII over the WD MyBook Pro as it is quieter. Check warranties, my 1TB WD model has a 3yr warranty whereas my 1TB Maxtor only has 1yr. That's important as all 3 of my external hard drives have had failures within the year and had to be replaced under warranty.

3. Merser macrumors member

Merser

OWC Mercury

About a month ago I did a lengthy search, posted a bunch of questions and almost every turn brought me to Other World Computing...

I have been using mine for the past month now to capture video and it has been perfect.

Here's a link to the models that match your criteria.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/

Do a search for OWC on these threads, I am sure you will get good feedback.

FYI The 500gb model I got uses a high end WD Cavair

4. thompsonisland macrumors newbie

I have the Maxtor One-Touch, but it doesn't show me an install file. I can't use it to back up! Ayone had this problem?