external drives improperly ejected

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mjshack, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mjshack macrumors newbie

I have an iMac (early 2009). It recently started to eject external drives attached. I have replaced my hum without help. I have plugged directly into the USB2 ports, but it still ejects. Ir I unplug the drives and replug, it starts again.
    I have both Seagate and Western Digital, 2 of the drives are externally powered
    mjshack

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'm thinking, "marginal cable connections"?

Have you tried swapping USB cables around?

Or perhaps substituting a new cable in place of an existing one?

Also possible is that the ports on the back of the iMac are getting "worn", in the sense that they don't make a good connection when the cable is plugged in.

Just some thoughts...

3. New Apple macrumors regular

there are a lot of people reporting problems from maveriks (at a certain point) to yosemite about ejecting drives problems (thunderbolt, usb)

i bet THEY have messed up something (they= apple) and manufacturers have not yet clue

4. Kier-XF macrumors newbie

Same problem here with a LaCie 2big Thunderbolt drive - constant improper ejections when auto-sleeping. I'm currently trying out a demo of Jettison to see if it resolves the problem.

5. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Jettison is ok at ejecting before sleep. The issue I have with it is it does not always remount drives on wake. Then you're back in the loop of Disk Utility not seeing the drive and a reboot is necessary.

I use Mountain. A simple and quick menu bar utility to eject and remount drives. Its manual as you have to eject prior to sleep. But it works and for those with several drives attached, gives good control. Under Yosemite, totally stable/reliable.

This entire I/O issue is an excellent example of Apple focusing on "features" at the expense of core functionality. I/O has been an issue for about 2 years now and nothing has been done. Quite the opposite. With Yosemite, my FireWire drives now no longer sleep.