External Drives mounting and unmounting as needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by neckarb, Sep 30, 2007.

1. neckarb macrumors regular

Hi Guys, i have somewhat of a problem, so let me describe it to you

I have 3TB of external storage over 4 External Firewire Hard drives,

2 x 500GB WD MyBook Pro's
    1 x 1TB WD MyBook Pro II
    1 x Lacie 1TB Big Disk Extreme

on each of these drives i have my DVD collectionin VIDEO_TS format, in excess of 400DVD's, I have a system of managing these DVD's when i can simply click on the DVD in a third party application and it opens in full screen in DVD player. However my problem, the drives make the room very hot, the fans can be very noisey so I don't want to leave them mounted all the time instead i want to be able to have them mounted only when im using them, i would like to be able to click on one of my DVD's and have it play rather than having to find which drive its on and mount it, so now comes my question...

is there a way of having my drives automatically mount when i need them to and dismount when im done with them, without having to leave them spinning and fanning the night away?

thanks for the help in advance

Neckarb.:confused:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

they will be still mounted but in system preferences under energy saver you can check put hard disks to sleep when possible and I think that that will make them spin down when not being used.

3. neckarb thread starter macrumors regular

ok great thanks, do you know if theres a way i can say make an alias to the drive on my desktop and just double click on it to have it mount?