External drives, Mouse, Sidecar, Whoa.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macalway, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Macalway macrumors 68030

2. Northern Man macrumors member

Northern Man

Quite interesting I agree. The devil will be in the details. Hopefully the constraints / restrictions will not smother the fire.

3. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Yeah, hard to grasp.

4. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Wow. And it seems my reckless decision to get an iPad Pro wasn’t as reckless as I thought. For many it will be a useless option as the number of lightning USB drives out there is slim. Apple can protect themselves by tightening up the Mfi protocol to reject non certified original Apple chips for the lightning connector so they will still be making money.

The real winners are us with the usbc connector as those devices are certified by a different body so prices can remain reasonable.

I am going to be interested in what is allowed. Like if I can play a movie off an external stick, then that will be wonderful. Fill the ease factor for vacations so I just load up my tv shows and movies on a USB and i am golden.

5. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

the iPad is a legit little beast computer now. It’ll only get better and better.

I’m happy I stuck with it.

6. Fairchild macrumors regular

This is irrelevant when you use the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter :)

7. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Already got approval and funding for my App which shows Real Time Data transfer speeds while using external drives.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am thinking when all the details are revealed, this feature will still be lacking.

9. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

We’ll use dongles.

10. jerryk macrumors 601

Glad I just got an iPad Pro 11 with USB C! Now I can share those dongles I got for my 2018 MBP.

11. mdjasrie macrumors member

Time to get a high capacity USB-C thumb drives!

12. Mainsail macrumors 65816

Not sure I understand why this is a useless option for someone with a lightning port on their iPad. It might require connection to USB with a dongle, but it still eliminates a big file sharing and storage issue for those iPads with lightning ports. I have a new iPad Air 3. I store everything in the cloud, so I won't be carrying a dongle and thumb drive around with me everywhere. But occasionally, I might want to share a large file via USB. The new capability will be great. BTW - iOS 13 also has this capability, so you can now connect external drives to your iPhone.....nice.

13. jerryk macrumors 601

Just get an adapter and regular USB thumb drives. USB C thumb drives are expensive and few.