Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
I have two LaCie 5Big Thunderbolt Series Raids, (20TB each) daisy chained and attached to my Mac. They are set Raid0. In Yosemite, they are recognized and work well.

I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday and saw that the drives were not showing up in Finder. After searching and not finding any hits about LaCie updates to the drivers, I went back to Yosemite from backup. The drives were there again.

This morning, I downloaded the LaCie Raid Monitor software and installed it just in case it might help. I then upgraded to El Capitan again and the drives, again, were not seen in Finder. I reached out to LaCie support to find out if they were aware of the issue and if a new driver was coming out. The person I spoke with informed me that they have not had any other reports. She had me open Disk Utility to see if the drives are seen there. Oddly, 3 of the drives are recognized, the remaining 7 are in an "Untitled" status.

She asked if the drives were attached when I did the upgrades, and they were. She speculated that the upgrade process, specifically Spotlight, could have done something that messed with how the OS sees the drives. Her recommendation is to go back to Yosemite, disconnect the drives and do the upgrade again. Once it completes, re-attach the drives and see if they are then recognized. I see some value in that and will do it later today. I wanted to get on this forum, however and see if anyone else has experienced the same or similar with any of their external drives, LaCie brand or not. If so, how have you resolved it?

Is there value in contacting Apple about this? I've been approaching this as an issue with the LaCie drives, but is there Apple liability here as well? I'd appreciate any insight on how to resolve this. Again, I can stay at Yosemite and everything will work fine, but I'd like to use El Capitan if there's a way to make this work.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have the same external drive so am interested to know how you got on before I decide to upgrade!

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
I have the same external drive so am interested to know how you got on before I decide to upgrade!

I'm convinced this is a LaCie driver problem. Their RAID Manager software controls all access to the RAID and it is incompatible with El Capitan. The 2 RAIDs I have are the same model but different years. The 2013 model is seen in El Capitan's Disk Utility, the 2015 Thunderbolt 2 model is not. Trying to run the RAID Manager software fails and it cannot be re-installed on El Capitan - it fails stating that it will not work on the El Capitan OS. I'll report back to LaCie and let them know they'll need to create a new driver. Hopefully it is something they can recreate and patch soon.

Reactions: Ifti

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I'm convinced this is a LaCie driver problem. Their RAID Manager software controls all access to the RAID and it is incompatible with El Capitan. The 2 RAIDs I have are the same model but different years. The 2013 model is seen in El Capitan's Disk Utility, the 2015 Thunderbolt 2 model is not. Trying to run the RAID Manager software fails and it cannot be re-installed on El Capitan - it fails stating that it will not work on the El Capitan OS. I'll report back to LaCie and let them know they'll need to create a new driver. Hopefully it is something they can recreate and patch soon.

Thank you for the update - seems like I may have to hold off on upgrading my main system just yet then as the Lacie drive has all my projects on it!
Will be keeping an eye on this thread ;)

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Thank you for the update - seems like I may have to hold off on upgrading my main system just yet then as the Lacie drive has all my projects on it!
Will be keeping an eye on this thread ;)

More frustration: LaCie has no weekend technical support and their hours are 7:30 to 4:30 during the week. That's poor.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
More frustration: LaCie has no weekend technical support and their hours are 7:30 to 4:30 during the week. That's poor.

My MacBook Pro is my main editing machine used with the Lacie 5Big TB2 Drive.
Im currently updating my MacBook Air with El Capitan. I will test the external drive with the MBA and see what happens - leaving the MBP with Yosemite until I can be sure my external drive will work!!
I'll let you know how I get on....

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
I heard back from LaCie today. They will have a new driver, no ETA as of yet. Well, it was supposed to be out yesterday and slipped. No idea if it will be hours, days or weeks. Keep an eye on:

http://www.lacie.com/support/raid/5big-thunderbolt-2/

We're looking for a firmware version higher than 2.0.3.1056 and RAID Manager higher than 4.1.0.2060

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I heard back from LaCie today. They will have a new driver, no ETA as of yet. Well, it was supposed to be out yesterday and slipped. No idea if it will be hours, days or weeks. Keep an eye on:

http://www.lacie.com/support/raid/5big-thunderbolt-2/

We're looking for a firmware version higher than 2.0.3.1056 and RAID Manager higher than 4.1.0.2060

I got my drive working on my MacBook Air.
Bear in mind it had no previous instances of the Lacie RAID Manager installed at all.

- Upgraded to El Capitan (not a fresh install)
- Plugged in the drive and got nothing - then remembered I needed the RAID Manager.
- Downloaded the current version as indicated above, and installed. During the installation it actually said that it was incompatible with the current OS and may cause problems. I continued anyway. The install then fails. However, upon checking the Apps folder it is there.
- Restarted the MacBook.
- Plugged in drive and its working OK - I am able to see and browse it as normal.
- Ejected drive and plugged back in to make sure it wasn't a fluke - seems to mount and display fine.
- Cant run the RAID Manager and connect to the drive to do anything further though - it just mounts and lets me browse as normal, which is all I need for now I guess!!

I'm currently upgrading my main system now - the system I actually need to use the drive with. That did have an older instance of RAID Manager installed, which I will try to remove and reinstall following the above procedure. Will report back with that system once complete (I took a SuperDuper image before starting the upgrade just in case I need to roll back!!!)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
OK, updated my main system now (MacBook Pro in sig) which is the system I actually use the drive with.

Again, performed an upgrade rather then a 'clean' install.

System was running RAID Manager 4.1.0.2036 before OSX upgrade.

Decided to leave the older version and try the drive - it works perfectly fine - mount as normal and I can use it with FCPX as before. No issues on that front.

The only problem I have (and I had this with Yosemite also) is that I can't browse to the localhost:8845 port to actually log in and check on the drive. It just says Safari can't connect to the server??!
Does this on both my systems - so with the 2060 driver also.....

Last edited:

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
OK, updated my main system now (MacBook Pro in sig) which is the system I actually use the drive with.

Again, performed an upgrade rather then a 'clean' install.

System was running RAID Manager 4.1.0.2036 before OSX upgrade.

Decided to leave the older version and try the drive - it works perfectly fine - mount as normal and I can use it with FCPX as before. No issues on that front.

The only problem I have (and I had this with Yosemite also) is that I can't browse to the localhost:8845 port to actually log in and check on the drive. It just says Safari can't connect to the server??!
Does this on both my systems - so with the 2060 driver also.....

I've had no luck, even following your steps. LaCie support says only that a driver is coming, no ETA.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I've had no luck, even following your steps. LaCie support says only that a driver is coming, no ETA.

Ive had my drive about a year and Ive never bothered upgrading the firmware, with the "if its not broke..." theory! Wonder if Im running an older firmware thats supporting El Capitan??
Cant log into the damn thing to check though! lol

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but I have the Lacie 5Big ThunderBolt 2 drive (not the first version)....

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
I just called Lacie support to check status, their voicemail says they are closed in observance of a holiday. I'm not aware of any holiday on October 9th, unless it's "Sh*t all over your customer's day", in which case they celebrate and observe it very well. I wish I'd made a better investment, but I'm forced to wait for these knuckleheads to get moving. BTW, if you check out their website, they claim they work with El Capitan. Dicks.

Reactions: Syell

Syell

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
The support told me that there is an update now and a new firmware as well.
But the download is damn lowly. :(

Last edited:

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
The support told me that there is an update now and a new firmware as well.
But the download is damn lowly. :(

Yes, after applying the firmware and RAID Manager updates, I was able to update to El Capitan and see the drives. Glad to say it's all working.

Syell

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
Still not working here. The firmware install on Yosemite worked fine for me, but the device is not detected in El Capitan with the new Raid Manager. :(

dlk906

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2015
Don't know if any of you have figured this out yet. There is a firmware update for the machines that must be installed before the updated Raid Manager software and also before any changes can be made to the Raid on the machine.
Go to the LaCie website and if needed use an older version of OS to download and install the firmware for the product then you can update the manager on the El Capitan computer and it will all work as it should.

Syell

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
@dlk906
That's it! I did that already, but maybe it went wrong some how. But now it works fine. Thank you very much. :)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
How do I download and install an older version of Raid Manager if all my systems are on El Capitan already??

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ignore the above - my problem was that I couldn't connect to the drive with RAID Manager - I would just get a 'Safari cannot find the server' page.

Wasn't too bothered about RAID Manager since the drive was accessible and working fine, although Ive never updated the firmware since original purchase a few years back....and one cant update the firmware without RAID Manager!!

Today I reinstalled RAID Manager and it allowed me to connect to the drive finally!
Updated the firmware as well now - everything updated and working fine ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.