External Drives won't let iMac to Restart...???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by I WAS the one, May 27, 2008.

1. I WAS the one macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

I have three External HDs connected to my iMac. One Firewire800, one firewire400 and one USB 2.0... and everything works great until I restart the iMac, it keep a blue screen stand by forever, and I need to disconect the drives to restart the iMac and everything goes normal again, I always connect the drives after the restart and so on.... Help :mad:

2. eMace macrumors member

I had this problem too. My iMac just hung up on shutdown so I had to manually turn it off by holding down the power button.

I think it may be my 3rd party drivers because my external was NTFS and I have NTFS read/write drivers installed, and because this shutdown hangup happens sometimes when I lose bluetooth connection to my mouse, which uses a 3rd party mouse driver.

I just make sure to disconnect my externals before I shut down, but it is a nuisance.

3. D4F Guest

D4F

I am not sure about this but there is a issue with Leopard that has something to do with firewire not recognizing hardware.
    I have the same issue you described (only sometimes tho) with my external iSight. I have to disconnect it and everything boots up as normal.

I saw in the 10.5.3 features that it is addressed so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Like I said tho... I am not sure about this.

4. I WAS the one thread starter macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

all my drives are connected directly at the back ports of my iMac, they are Mac OS formatted, Right now no other peripheral is connected on the iMac just the extrenal drives and when I try to restart... the iMac keeps hanging on a blue screen and stills like that until I disconnect the drives... whats going on?:confused: