External drives..

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have 3 computers I'm in the process of getting rid of.. and all 3 have hard drives full of crap. I'm looking to get an external one to dump everything onto. Does it matter if I get an IDE or SATA internal interface? Will I ever notice the speed difference? Is there any one company that I should get over another one?

I was looking at getting this, with this drive.. but should I be concerned that it's not an SATA drive?

k thanks:)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you look at the enclosure page, it has a combo deal with a 250 gb hard drive (looks like the same as yours only different capacity), and that drive is an ultra ata. so i think you're good.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
if you look at the enclosure page, it has a combo deal with a 250 gb hard drive (looks like the same as yours only different capacity), and that drive is an ultra ata. so i think you're good.
There's also a combo deal with this drive;)
Hardware wise though, is it all descent quality? I just don't wanna be kicking myself in a few months because it can't do *insert something here* and I don't have the money to get more hardware..

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Go with a firewire 800 drive, you will be amazed on how fast it is. The speed wont matter much if you copy files when you sleep or when your watching a movie, the only time i found that i need the extra speed is when i need to put large amount of info on my HD fast.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
I'd get an SATA drive in the event you want to eventually install it internally on another computer or for eSATA.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'd get an SATA drive in the event you want to eventually install it internally on another computer or for eSATA.
I'll probably never have another desktop again.. having said that, would you still recomend SATA? If so, could you recomend a good SATA enclosure with firewire 800?

k, thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.