External Dual-Layer Burner Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Angelcuco, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Angelcuco macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a "LaCie d2 DVD-+RW 22X with LightScribe." It connects with USB 2.0 or FireWire 400. It can not "read" DVD-RAM disks. Is reading/writing DVD-RAM disks very important?:confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, get a drive that will read and write to all forms of media...These days, Blu-Ray is what you want too.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

What do you want to use the drive for? If it is for data storage i.e. files, photos , video etc, surely this CD/DVD-RW drive is more than adequate - with the added advantage of LightScribe.

4. Tomacorno macrumors regular

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

6. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Thanks but you know how it is - too much stuff to look up, not enough time. :D

I had been looking at a few of these lightscribe external drives on Amazon and from the reviews it has been difficult to determine the Mac experience. The mac users have tended to say they liked the drives but had not used the lightscribe feature. So, it is hard to drill down to some advice.

7. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I got the Asus DL DVD drive listed in my sig very cheap ($27) on sale at Staples. Does everything I've tried so far, which is not a lot, I just got it for occasional times when I might want to play/rip a CD or DVD. I've burned a couple of data CDs but no DVDs yet. Seems to read various types of discs no problem. Unit didn't need a hardware-specific driver or software, and it can get enough power from a single USB port on my Mini.

This unit is all I need for now, but later on I might get a Blu-ray drive.