external dvd burner help-LG GP10

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brn2rnjk1, Oct 7, 2011.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

I have an iMac running snow leapard. Having some problem with burning cds on the internal drive so, at apple store recommendation, bought an LG GP 10. I am having problems getting the iMac to recognize it. Either I get an error message that I have to disconnect all the other USB ports because the LG needs to much power or just not recognized.
    1. Can someone suggest a solution to this
    2. Should I try another drive and what is recommended.

Thanks

2. EricT43 macrumors regular

If your Mac is still under warranty or AppleCare coverage, I would just insist that they fix the problem with the internal drive!

If that's not an option, then did you try plugging it into 2 USB ports? I think it comes with a Y cable for that purpose, to draw additional power. If THAT doesn't work, then I'd return the LG and get an external drive that includes an external power supply.

3. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

We have many things plugged in already that would just be a pain to unplug/replug. So,
    1. Can you recommend a powered one
    2. Would a powered USB extender/port work.

4. EricT43 macrumors regular

Wish I could recommend one, but I'm not really that familiar with what's out there. A powered USB port might work if it allows you to plug into two ports instead of one...