External DVD Burner question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sjohnson4382, Dec 25, 2009.

1. sjohnson4382 macrumors member

I have a macbook that i got last fall and am wanting to get an external dvd burner. It is the reg macbook and not the pro so I'm pretty sure the burn capability is only a cd. With that being said I had a guy give me a LiteOn Ez-Dub external dvd burner that says it is only compatible with windows. I keep reading that this may work on a mac but I have no idea how to get it to recognize it because when i plug it in to the usb nothing happens. Any way to make it see it? Also what is a dvd burner that I should buy for my macbook that is easy to use and not overly expensive? thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at System Profiler > Hardware > ATA to confirm that you only have a CD/DVD combo drive and not a superdrive.
    As far as I can remember, only the 2.1GHz model introduced in early 2008 still had a CD/DVD combo drive, the rest had all Superdrives (DVD burner).
    [​IMG]

To use an external DVD burner just put a DVD-/+R(W) into the external DVD burner, and make a Burn folder with Finder or use Toast or use the free software called Burn to burn DVDs.

It's not like in Windows where an optical drive is always shown, even when no optical media is in the drive.
    You only see the DVD drive in Finder, when a DVD/CD is inserted and mounted.