External DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alchemistmuffin, Mar 4, 2009.

1. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

I was thinking about buying an external dvd burner for my mac.

However, many burner has system requirement that only lists windows.

Does these dvd burner actually work with mac by just plugging it in? I have Toast already installed, so the system requirement is only for the software.

2. alchemistmuffin thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Teacherman macrumors newbie

External DVD Burner

I am also considering an external dvd burner. I am considering a LaCie Burner. Does Lightscribe work well? I thought Lightscribe might ad a nice touch to the DVDs.

I burn a few dvds a week for projects, imovies etc. Or should I just continue using the DVD that came with my Imac. But I am considered with the lifespan of DVD burners in an Imac.

thanks for any suggestions.

4. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

I've had the Lacie portable DVD/RW 'Sam Hecht' Firewire burner for about a year now. It does what I need. You need additional software to play commercial DVD's which I have never tried to do. But for for my purposes - burning DVD data and music CD's it has worked fine. The FW version comes with Toast 8 and Lightscribe software. I have also used the Lightscribe function and it does add a nice touch. But it can easily take as long to burn the label as it does to burn the data. And the label is basically 'greyscale' - no color. But I like it. Another label option might be a color printer that prints directly on appropriate CD's. I would avoid the paper adhesive labels that can cause problems with slot loading drives.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

They can also throw off the overall balance of the disk and cause it to vibrate.