External DVD/CD drive - Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nimm, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Nimm macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this has been previously asked but I just got my IMac back from the "Shop Doc" - the internal CD/DVD drive is shot. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and had some problems with older devices. This has made me somewhat nervous about buying an external drive.
    I will still be obtaining work via CD so need to read and perhaps write - we also used our Mac to watch DVDs.
    Which drive would you recommend for/work well with Mountain Lion? (Not too $$ please...) I would prefer to order/pickup within Canada to avoid cross border charges.

Many thanks! :)

2. Nimm thread starter macrumors newbie

Help...or no?

Over 300 views and yet no help? Have I posted this on the wrong forum?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've been using a Samsung Blu Ray drive in a external USB to SATA enclosure, works great.

If it worries you then just get the Apple external DVD drive.

4. Nimm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bill

I'll check into what your are using.
    Appreciate it, take care.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Any USB Optical drive will work. I use two different blu-ray drives (one is a full size in an enclosure and the other is generic slim usb drive). The only thing you MIGHT lose functionality of is iDVD movie player, but otherwise I have seen no ill-effects of using either drive in my computers.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

OP on the cheap, if you have another computer PC or Mac with a DVD drive on your home network you could try Apples Remote Disk.