External DVD Drive for iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pulp3au, Sep 17, 2012.

1. pulp3au macrumors newbie

Hi. I recently had to get an external DVD drive for my iMac since the internal one was causing me problems. I just need to know if I can keep the external DVD drive connected all the time? It connects via usb and gets its power from the computer. It does not pop up as mounted and only mounts a cd or dvd when one is inserted in it. It shows up under About This Mac > More Information> Storage as just another optical drive along with the internal one.

Would love to know if I can just keep it connected all the time or if it would be best to unplug it after every use?

Thanks.
    iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

2. simsaladimbamba

It is okay to keep it connected all the time.

3. jkeekij macrumors regular

You can leave it attached. I leave my Superdrive attached to my Mac Mini all the time without issue.

4. arnieom macrumors newbie

I have a iMac desktop 8,1 that has had internal optical drive DVD/CD replaced once. Now it is kaput again and the USB Super Drive that Apple and after markets are not compatible with kaput built in optical drive. Any suggestions on a external DVD/CD drive that will work with iMac is spite of kaput optical drive? Apple tech says there is no way to disable kaput optical drive. I can go as far as burn to disc with externals I have tried. HOWEVER, iMac just does not recognize when I insert a blank CD disc. It keeps flashing to load after blank disc is loaded. Any suggestions are welcome. :)

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

My external Samsung BluRay stays on 24/7 connected for 3 yrs now, bought it right after my '09 iMac.