external dvd drive HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ebbflo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ebbflo, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

ebbflo macrumors newbie

Hi. I am new to the forum and new to the Mac world:apple:. I bought a mid 2010 macbook pro 17" unibody from someone on craigslist(10.7.4). This person added a 1TB drive where the disk input is. The dvd/burner drive was then put in an enclosure with USB to be able to use via USB port. I plugged it in and fed it a dvd. Then nothing. Nothing registered. I have been researching for hours and nothing I found has worked... I did download/installed VLC and still nothing. :(:( I don't even care about watching dvd's on this computer. How do I get the bloody dvd out???

I bought the computer to use for music production and I need this disk drive to install my software. I am assuming it will respond to software but don't know for sure.

If someone could tell me how to make dvds work that would be great... but all I really want is to know how to get the dvd out... or anything else I might want to know. Thanks

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Assuming that you tried using your eject key on the keyboard...

Open up disk utility by going to your Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and see if your disk drive shows up. If it does then select it and hit eject

Here's what mine looks like just for reference, I have my cursor over the eject button.
    [​IMG]

3. ebbflo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did try the eject button.
    I went where you suggested but it does not recognize the drive.

I found this - http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110728114938961

Which leads here - http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100208120847220

This made the most sense but when I tried to follow the guidance it ended at -DVDPlayback.framework- I did not see the option.

But I guess that is my problem... the computer looking to internal for dvd rather than external but IDK

thanks for your time

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah those links were just for making the DVD drive be recognized by the app "DVD Player" and not the system as a whole. It should still recognize the DVD drive in disk utility regardless of whether it can be used with DVD player or not.

There is a chance that it is a hardware issue and not an issue with the Mac recognizing the disk. Do you have another computer to test it on? Maybe a friends computer?