External DVD drive recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbarth, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dbarth macrumors newbie

Hi--first post here. My girlfriend and I are trying to resurrect a circa 2004 MacBook which has not been used for about two years.

We knew the internal hard drive had died. We bought a new one and swapped it out. Then, we learned that the DVD drive is also not functioning correctly. For one, it scratched the top (non-data side) of the system software disc we had just bought! :(

Rather than replacing the internal DVD drive, we'd like to get an external one. I am planning on getting an XP-based netbook in the near future, so having an external drive that was both Mac- and PC-compatible would kill two birds with one stone. :)

What drive would you recommend we buy?

I'd rather not buy an internal drive and put it in an enclosure unless that's really easy to do...at this point, I'm afraid something else will go wrong just because it can.

Personally, I was looking at slim drives largely for the convenience, although if they perform worse or don't handle scratched discs well, I'd reconsider. Best Buy had a bunch of the LG GP08LU10 <http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-external-dvd-burner-GP08LU10.jsp>. But a quick Google search suggested this drive was not Mac compatible, despite LG's claims that it was <http://forums.mactalk.com.au/23/59685-external-dvd-burner-lg-gp08lu10-gp10l.html>.

So, do you know if the LG GP08LU10 drive is in fact Mac compatible? Or could you recommend something you think is better for our needs?

Thank you! :p

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I would suggest, the Lacie D2.. it has firewire, USB 2.0 and if i remember correctly its windows and mac osx compatible.. about 70 quid by now i reckon :)

Also check out Amazon, they are good with that kinda stuff, if nothing else to get a ganders at the competition of the other products..

Hope that helps

PTP

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

4. dbarth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you MWPULSE and rpaloalto! I went with the OWC drive as it was a bit less than the LaCie d2 drives at Amazon.