external dvd drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Dec 26, 2013.

1. gooser macrumors 6502

looking at the external dvd drives that owc has for sale and i only see one that is still supported by firewire. i would like to hook up an external drive to whatever machine i am using to keep from wearing out any of my internals. my needs are
    1. copying cd's using toast
    2. ripping dvd's using ripit and mac the ripper
    3. importing cd's into itunes.
    will an external dvd burner be able to satisfy all three of these needs? thanks.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes. An external drive will do all of those things.

3. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

well my drive showed up today and you were right. but i got more. i've read that apple's dvd player will not work with externals but it does with this one. cool.

4. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Score! May I ask which one you bought? :D

5. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

it's listed as owc mercury pro 800/400 + usb3 multidrive. the application dvd player works on a 1.25ghz imac and a 1.33 ibook both running 10.4 and a 2.13ghz macbook running 10.6. dvd player just launches when i insert a dvd. just like the internals. i use firewire 400.

6. pcfast macrumors member

I was considering getting an external dvd reader/burner too. Was just thinking of getting one that is generic though.

Anyone have experience with usb dvd drives with PPC Macs?

7. Bear macrumors G3

I've found that DVD Player will often work with an external optical drive. This spans from Jaguar through Mountain Lion on a few different Macs.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Same here. I have only had one external drive where DVD Player did not want to cooperate with.