External DVD for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bossboss, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Bossboss macrumors member

Since I have optibay, I'm going to need an external DVD drive for my new mbp. My question is: does any external dvd drive work? I need one that will let me install windows 7 on bootcamp.

I heard the external superdrive for the air doesn't work on mbp? Any recommendations from someone knowledgeable?

Thanks!

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Do a quick search, you will not be able to install Windows with an external DVD. There are workarounds.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The Air SuperDrive only works on the Air and mini. Any regular $20 DVD burner should work as an external, while also being much faster and more reliable than Apple's SuperDrives.

I've read that Windows won't install from an external DVD drive, but I just put my installer on a $7 USB flash drive and it's faster than installing from DVD.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I believe you can do it with a flash drive. The new minis and airs even make one within boot camp.