External DVD limitations?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akm3, May 23, 2010.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I got an iMac and plan to remove the optical drive to add an SSD. So, with a USB external DVD what WON'T work?

My understanding is only DVD player won't work, as well as boot camp windows installs.

What about front row? iTunes? iDVD?

Any terminal hackery that can fix these issues?

Suggestions / tips from anyone smarter than me?

2. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thought of one more question, you CAN use the external DVD to boot the snow leopard disk to install snow leopard right? Now I'm freaking out that nothing will work. Set me straight!

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

DVD Player works fine for me (playing a DVD in my external drive right now).
    iTunes etc... will rip/play from an external drive fine in my experience, and disc burning works fine too.

Boot Camp wise I'm not sure, though I don't see why it wouldn't work, same goes for running the OSX installer (though I'm pretty sure I've run it off an external before).

4. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Just confirming that with my setup, putting a DVD in my external drive will NOT allow DVD player to play it because there is no valid internal drive, either. Weird.

I know there is some terminal hackery to fix this, but I don't care. VLC plays it just fine, and I don't really watch DVDs on my computer anyway - I rip them.