external dvd player

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrFusion, Apr 12, 2008.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Reading any kind of disk on my MacBook is since a few months an exercise in futility. 90% of the time, it just spits the disk back out. With no apple care and having rung out of my 1 year warranty, I decided to buy an external dvd player. Heading over the Lacie website, I read somewhere that DVD player will not work with an external drive. Is that so? I know iDVD won't run. But playing back a dvd movie, what is the big deal? It's a freaking dvd.

I only watch dvd's. I have an external HD for backup. Can I safely buy an external dvd drive and expect dvd player to actually work?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I have one, but haven't used it since I got my macs. Looks like I won't be able to tell. It's an IO Magic, and apparently there aren't mac drivers.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You should not have any problem with an external dvd drive to watch dvd's - and yes dvd player works fine from an external. If you are contemplating a dvd burner then Firewire is better than USB2.

Why not change the existing dvd drive - if it is an internal combo it will only be $40/€25 for one than works from eBay.....

4. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

How easy can it be replaced by myself?
    And how much would a new one cost? Or are they not available through a third party brick store?

Thanks for the replies.