External DVD-R Drive Installation (Sony DRX-S70U)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mpdesantis, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mpdesantis macrumors newbie

Guys....

I have a Canon mini-disc camcorder that has been nothing but a headache since I got it. After 3 months of brainstorming "creative solutions" for my mini-disk vs. slot loading superdrive dilemma, I finally broke down and bought an external dvd rw drive. (Sony DRX S70U).

I was psyched when I finally found one in stock at (insert major office supply chain here) because no one seems to stock any Mac Compatible external drives in my area. But when I got it home and took it out of the box.....I realized that the drive doesn't come with any Mac software. I should have been clued to this fact by the "SOFTWARE FOR MACINTOSH NOT INCLUDED STICKER", but alas, I wasn't.

How can I download the driver software? I've googled the model number and came up empty. The drive is definitely Mac compatible, but it doesn't come with software.

PLEASE HELP! After three months of frustration (the original camcorder was a gift so I shouldn't complain too much), I was psyched to finally download the video files of my brother in-laws wedding and edit it for him. Now, I am jsut as frustrated as ever.

Thanks......

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB

2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

have you tried just plugging it in? seriously it may just work

3. mpdesantis thread starter macrumors newbie

Freakin genius man. Nice job.

(I had connected the drive to my computer before I scribed my post, but I guess the Finder wouldn't recognize the drive without a DVD in the drive.)

I'll let you know how it goes from here as I embark on a tireless journey to finally download and edit those pesky Canon DC210 minidisk files. Keep your eyes open for a distress call in the near future.