External DVD Reader for MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by woolyback, Aug 16, 2008.

1. woolyback macrumors regular

Have done some searches and can't seem to find a definitive answer to the following problem (any links to existing threads would be gratefully appreciated though);

Getting extremely fed-up with my Macbook only registering about 1 in 6 DVDs - they simply get ejected without showing up.

This has only become an issue since I got my AppleTV and am trying to put my DVDs onto it.

Anyhow, the 2 things I'm not clear on...

1. Is the internal DVD being generally pretty crap an item Apple will change under warranty or not really worth the hassle as it seems to be a generic issue and any replacement would just as likely be crap?

2. I'm more likely to just buy a USB external DVD reader - will any off the shelf DVD-R register with the O/S or should I be looking for something specific ? Something cheap an cheerful ideally as it's purely for reading the DVDs so I can rip them onto my AppleTV.

Thanks.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

While it is more related to burning as opposed to the reading problems you describe, the drives Apple generally use in laptops (Matshita) are not the best drive ever manufactured. Selecting "About this Mac" then clicking the "More Info" button and then selecting "Disk Burning" will tell you what brand is in yours.

Now that being said, Apple will certainly replace the drive if it fails to read as many disks as you have noted (and it is still under warranty I should add) - I have run into the same thing on three client machines that I have worked with. In each case, the machines were taken to an Apple store's genius bar with a selection of non-readable disks to prove the point and they were all replaced with drives that worked. I haven't had to take any back in a second time but time will tell I suppose.

As to external drives- virtually any drive will work fine with them without problems- even ones that don't note Mac compatibility on the box, though to be certain you can get one that does note Mac compatibility! Most external drives will offer additional speed, Double Layer burning capability and more as side benefits even though that is not currently something you are looking for.

SO- If you Mac is still under warranty I would sure get a working drive put in it while you can, and then you can make a decision as to whether or not you want to invest in an external. In any case should you decide to sell your machine down the road a working drive in it would be better than trying to sell one with a failed drive!:D

3. woolyback thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good - thanks for that. Proving it isn't working properly shouldn't be a problem, 2 brand new DVDs straight out of the boxes were rejected today (but worked okay on my work HP laptop :rolleyes:)

Just need to try and get to an Apple store before the warranty expires (I'm in Portugal at the moment so not great).

BUT.....I assume the Apple care would also cover the DVD drive (and it is the standard Matshita), as I'm planning on getting that I should be able to do it at my leisure when I return to the UK in a few months time ?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes- I may have given the wrong impression about the warranty- sorry abou that! The Apple Stores OR Applecare will honor the extended AppleCare warranty. It applies just as much in a carry in to an Apple Store as it does via AppleCare's telephone support (with shipment to them and back). There is no rush to get into an Apple store- I just mentioned that because it is usually more time-efficient, but it doesn't seem that would be the case for your situation! You are covered for the full term of the AppleCare contract either way!

Good luck- and your experiences with the HP just confirm the hardware status of your drive too! :(