Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterman8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Ok, I know this is going to sound a bit sketchy, but I am tellign the god's honest truth.

I am living in london fro the year (Going to grad school). And I have a new iBook. I want to be able to check out movies fromthe library and rent stuff, but I also don't want to change the region code on my internal drive. Is it possible to just buy a region 2 external drive? If so where would I find one compatible with my computer for dirt cheap? I have been looking and can't find it. I am not looking to buy pirated discs or anything just want to be able to watch movies without changing the code on my computer back and forth and then for permanent. Thanks,
M

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Are you investing in a TV while your living in London. If so have you considered just getting a cheap one for the tv?

jon

misterman8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
no. no tv. Too expensive... I am trying to avoid buying things I can't take with me.

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
misterman8 said:
Ok, I know this is going to sound a bit sketchy, but I am tellign the god's honest truth.

I am living in london fro the year (Going to grad school). And I have a new iBook. I want to be able to check out movies fromthe library and rent stuff, but I also don't want to change the region code on my internal drive. Is it possible to just buy a region 2 external drive? If so where would I find one compatible with my computer for dirt cheap? I have been looking and can't find it. I am not looking to buy pirated discs or anything just want to be able to watch movies without changing the code on my computer back and forth and then for permanent. Thanks,
M

I use VLC to view DVD's on my iMac I would recommend it to you but with the warning that it might not work on region locked PB's (not sure about iBooks though) but it's worth a try, other than that you could use MPlayer to watch the VIDEO_TS files (if DVD Player opens by default cancel it and double click on the DVD where you will see the VIDEO_TS folder just drag and drop it in MPlayer and press play.

p.s this is not a definitive answer. ;)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
I would get a Liteon or LG drive as these can easily be changed to RPC1.

Get an external usb box and stick the drive into it.

Go to this website and get the modified firmware.

Then download Region X to allow you to keep changing the region code.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
VLC works great for me. I am studying abroad in Japan now and my Region 1 iBook has no problems with Region 5.

misterman8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Ok so I just ended up downloading VLC but it no worky.

Here's what happens:
I insert region 2 DVD
DVD player opens, and the screen comes up about changing DVD regions, if I cancel that, out comes the disc.
If I force close DVD player and open VLC, VLC won't play the disc, it will flash a black screen for 0.00002 seconds and then nothing.

Am I missing some ridiculously easy step? I really don't want to do the firmware thing, I just bought this iBook and I don't want to void any thing on it.

Thanks...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Change the System Preferences so that either nothing happens when you insert a movie dvd or it opens your choice of application.

misterman8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Did it.
Still flashes the black screen.
The app remains open, just won't play the disc.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I read some posts on DVD region issues. But, I have not found a definitive asnwer. Can someone tell me the DVD region code (example, PB or iBook's DVD/CD RW or Superdrive) will be separate from OX? I mean if you do the clean OS install, does that make the optical drive's region code histry to zero and you can get the fresh DVD drive from the sratch?

Also, if you buty an external DVD player (USB or Firewire ones), can you change that external drive to other region code while keeping the internal one as is. The external DVD player is not expensive now and I prefer messing with the external one instead of the internal drive.

I am weary about doing the firmware hack as it may cause irreversable damage to the internal drive. I prefer changing the region code with an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.