External DVD-RW Drive (memorex)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by agentphish, Sep 23, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Anyone know if a USB 2.0 Memorex Brand DVD-/+RW DL drive will work with 10.5?

A friend has one he wanted to get rid of and my internal DVD-R drive just died on my G5, so i figured why not, but I don't want to pay to ship it if it's not going to work.

2. davidleon macrumors member

The drive should be compatible. However, there are better inexpensive alternatives from Pioneer and Samsung available.

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

In external form Pioneer and Samsung have less expensive drives?

My friend is willing to sell me the drive for really cheap + shipping, but since I have a dead drive currently, I'd really like to see links.

Thanks

4. davidleon macrumors member

5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yeah...the drive in my G5 was an upgrade from the original drive that was in there. It's a pioneer 116. I was never impressed with the performance and pickyness with media in the first place. I only use Verbatim & Sony DVD media so it's not like I using el-cheapo crap, and it's burned many bad discs.

I've only had it for about a year and a half, and it failed. So I don't think I want another 116.

Thanks for the enclosure suggestion though, that one looks nice for the price.

6. davidleon macrumors member

I doubt a Pioneer DVR-116D has been in your Mac for 1.5 years, since it was recently released.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Like davidleon said the 116 was only released about a month or so ago- are you sure it wasn't an old 106 instead by chance?

At any rate, unless the drive you are talking about is less than $30, I personally would rather get a brand new current generation drive from any of several manufacturers (I am a long term fan of Pioneers and would not consider an alternative but different stokes of course) from a supplier like newegg.com. They have drives from Pioneer, Sony, LG, etc. for $30 or less each, so it is worth comparing since you would then have the latest capabilities and burn speed advantage- not to mention not having another component hanging off your G5! :)

8. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

bah it was a 112. Sorry. I knew it was a 11something :)

Anywho, I can get the drive for about 30 shipped, but probably better to just build my own external with the links provided above.