External dvd-rw drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonasdamn, Aug 17, 2013.

1. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Hello, what dvd drive would you advice for my MBA 2013? I'm going to use it also for bootcamp windows installation. I have saw apple superdrive but it is abit overpriced, there are way cheaper alternatives, which one you would advice? Thanks

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The Apple Superdrive for the MBA is the dvd drive which was designed for use with it; I'm not sure that the alternatives would suit the MBA - (whereas they might work with other Mac computers).

In any case, when I bought my original MBA in 2010, I decided to buy the MBA Superdrive as well rather an attempt to buy an alternative.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have a $20 USB Manhattan that has served many of the optical drive less laptops in our house well for years (both windose netbooks and Macs) . Nothing magic about the MBA. Unless you are into heavy duty DVD video disk burning, any USB RW drive will do. Pick the one that is currently on sale.

Here are a couple highly rated sub $30 examples.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...08db_tsb_SE_208DB_TSWS_Slim_Portable_DVD.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SM_PC58U2VB_MediaStation_8x_Portable_DVD.html

4. opinio macrumors 65816

I'd go for the Apple SuperDrive. It is the only USB powered drive that is given extra operating current from the Mac (through OS X). OS X gives it an extra 600 mA (1100 total) at 5V while a generic (non-Apple) USB powered DVD drive will only operate at 500mA (half and Amp - USB 2.0 standard). Half an amp on the generic versus over 1 amp on the SuperDrive. To get this level of amps on a generic DVD drive it will have to be plugged into a power brick.

Basically the two (Mac and SuperDrive) are designed for each other and the Mac treats a SuperDrive more favourably through a proprietary allowance (only on Apple devices) of higher amps than a generic DVD drive.

iPhones and iPads also get this proprietary allowance of amps from a Mac. Incidentally it goes against the agreed standard for USB amps (500mA) but no one seems to want to take Apple on.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I recently picked up one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/531372-555-HP-USB-2-0-Blu-Ray-Drive-And-DVD-Burner-With-Lightscribe-/121118092579?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item1c33336d23

It works very well with all my Macs, reads Blu Ray and does Lightscribe as well. Looks like the same seller has a couple left.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

What he's neglecting to mention is THEY DON'T NEED IT. These drives are all designed to run just fine on Windows PCs that don't give the extra power and SURPRISE - they work just fine on Macs too.

My Samsung USB 2.0 Blu-ray drive also runs just fine on my Mac, and it needs to spin a lot faster than a DVD drive.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I'd read reviews on the USB SuperDrive before you consider it. "Terrible" pretty much sums up half of them.

8. jonasdamn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you guys ;) Yes i have read that there a lot of negative feesbacks about it and price is too high. Will check alternatives :)

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yes but none of the basic and generic DVD drives need those extra amps. My no-name drive never needed a power brick to work with any of our Macs, including the two MBAs.