External DVD writer

Pixels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
UK
Anyone with recomendations for an external (via Firewire) DVD writer to attach to my G4 (miiror doors) running 10.3 ?

I notice that Apple only seems to support DVD-R discs - would this still be the case if I bought an external drive and using Toast ?

I take it these external drives are not region specific and can read any DVDs as well as write them ?

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Region function only comes into play with commercial DVDs -- and there are ways around that, as well.

I own a LaCie FW DVD burner and am extremely happy with it. It is daisy chained into a LaCie FW external hard drive. I also have a LaCie external CD burner, as well. So I guess you could say I highly recommend them.

I use Toast -- but be aware that the new iDVD supports external drives. In fact, on the Apple discussion boards someone asked about this, and someone from LaCie posted to confirm that their DVD burner would work with the new iDVD. So I'm looking forward to playing with the new iDVD once my mini arrives.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
It's cheaper to buy an enclosure, and a oem dvd burner. they're really easy to put together too, but beware, iDVD compatibility isn't there with '04, and I don't know for sure about '05.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
What unit did you buy for your G4 tower - I've been meaning to pop one of them in, but want something that will slide right in and just work!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm quite sure all drives are of a uniform shape. So it won't matter which brand you do buy. But, Pioneer drives will be compatible with the iApps out of the box I'm quite sure. If you were to get say a NEC or LG burner, they may not work with the iApps, for instance my ext. DVD burner works in iTunes, but not in iDVD, and on my Mom's computer I put a LiteOn CD-RW in her B&W and it doesn't work in iTunes. But in both cases, both drives work flawlessly with Toast.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
rickvanr said:
I'm quite sure all drives are of a uniform shape. So it won't matter which brand you do buy. But, Pioneer drives will be compatible with the iApps out of the box I'm quite sure. If you were to get say a NEC or LG burner, they may not work with the iApps, for instance my ext. DVD burner works in iTunes, but not in iDVD, and on my Mom's computer I put a LiteOn CD-RW in her B&W and it doesn't work in iTunes. But in both cases, both drives work flawlessly with Toast.
Great, thanks! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.