external DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seablue, Aug 29, 2007.

1. seablue macrumors regular

I have an eMac running on 10.2 right now. 800MHz G4. I'm going to upgrade it to 10.4 Tiger. Question.... it only has a CD drive. No DVD. Apple has discontinued the media exchange :( so that's not an option any longer.
    My only other alternative is to get an external DVD drive and do it that way.
    They said it would hook into my firewire. They assured me that this eMac does have firewire. I don't usually fiddle with any hardware on my computers.
    How much do these external DVD units cost? And how do I hook it into the firewire?? Total newbie with hardware!
    I can take it into the apple store and they will charge me 30.00- 50.00 to install it. Is it worth taking it in?
    Thanks for any help.

2. thegrifman macrumors regular

Attached Files:

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

4. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really seeing anything like that. I've got a port that has what looks like a Y little picture above 2 ports and one larger port that has a arrow on both ends of a ---- thing and the last port has a box picture above the port. Does any of that make any sense??
    I don't really want to change out the whole CD drive. IF I need to use a DVD, I use my ibook. But I'm hell bent on upgrading my old desktop.
    I already bought the 10.4 Tiger and memory for it -- now to just get it on the computer.

5. thegrifman macrumors regular

The Y icon is the firewire symbol.

Attached Files:

6. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be able to get this software on.