Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isumbras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Can anyone reccomend a good external DVDRW drive (USB) for the current Macs.

I bought four Samsung ones for myself and a client and three of them have developed faults. Samsung UK have been very uncooperative so looking for another make and model.

I think the Apple one is overpriced and two internal drives in iMacs I have have both stopped reading DVD and CD disks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

#

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Can anyone reccomend a good external DVDRW drive (USB) for the current Macs.

I bought four Samsung ones for myself and a client and three of them have developed faults. Samsung UK have been very uncooperative so looking for another make and model.

I think the Apple one is overpriced and two internal drives in iMacs I have have both stopped reading DVD and CD disks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

#

Sounds like bad luck to me. Return them on warranty and ask to get new ones from a different production batch.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I use an LG external br/dvd and it has been flawless since I got it in 2011. I've used it to rip and digitise my entire collection of music, movies and series, which was a lot of disks. To be fair I have only used it twice to actually burn a dvd.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
I think LaCie make the best externals.

I've been using them for many years (my last couple of Macs had internal SuperDrives, but I never used them, just the LaCies), and never had a failure. I even dropped a 10lb bronze sculpture on one and dented the top so deeply I thought I'd ruined it, but it continued to work perfectly until i replaced it with a faster one.

I can't remember the warranty I got, but I think it was 2-3 years instead of the usual 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.