External Enclosure Assistance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleNewton, Mar 5, 2008.

1. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Im sure this is probably a dead horse being re-beat, but im kind of new to the external enclosure realm, i have had a USB Enclosure for IDE drives, howeve rim looking for some opinions on a relatively reasonable priced enclosure for SATA Drives that connect via FireWire (either 400 or 800).

Ive scoped through newegg and the like but alot seem low rated and alot of issues with them.

if one has a Sata/IDE to FireWire/USB perfect...but im notlooking for all those bells and whistles ill settle with a SATA FireWire enclosure and look towards an IDE USB specific enclosure.

any help and assistance is appreciated! thanks!!

2. mchank macrumors regular

Check out Icydock enclosures:

www.icydock.com

Newegg has them; I have one that has firewire 400 and usb and its great. I have one of the older "sled" models, and I've been meaning to pick up one of their screwless design ones.

3. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Thank you for your assistance!!

you know i just came across an ICY DOCK enclosure;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198004

im thinking thats a pretty good deal, lot of great reviews.

is that similair to the kind you use?

thanks!!

4. mchank macrumors regular

Yes that's the exact same one I have: really solid construction and quiet. I normally connect it via firewire but even when I connect it via usb it spins down when idle which most usb enclosures don't do. The only downside is that the spring out feet don't have a wide enough stance to protect it against accidentally bumping it over, but mine came with stick-on rubber feet so that you can lay it down horizontally.