External enclosure for superdrive with slot loading bezel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farmermac, Mar 5, 2010.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I am particularly interested in those who ordered an optibay HD caddy for th eir MBP and replaced their internal superdrive. Optibay caddys ship with an external enclosure for superdrives. Does that enclosure have a bezel to accomodate a slow loading drive?

All enclosures I can find online seem to be designed for tray loading cd/dvd rom drives that have their own bezel.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Several people in the Optibay/alternatives thread report that it does not. The drive will work fine in a normal enclosure, it will just a look a little funny.

3. alex22alex macrumors newbie

Anyone managed to find a caddy with slot loading bezel for the Superdrive ?

Alex

4. piwi macrumors regular

I have been looking for on too for the past two days but couldn't find anything.
    MCE doesn't even mention if theirs comes with a bezel or not. I'd rather not use the Superdrive at all than have a Frankenstein looking one with no face, not even mentioning the dust coming in or the utter lack of support for anything else than 10$ a piece Kodak DVDs as far as burning is concerned.
    Get yourself a regular slim USB DVD burner, it will cost you less than 100$ and it will do a much better job than the SD. I have had a black Samsung that is very eye candy too and it's worked much better than the SD (burning Snow Leopard on a DVD-DL anyone :D)
    My guess is no one will ever make a bezel for the SD because they are changing with each MB generation and, let's face it, the number of people who swap their SD for an optibay are not legion... May not be worth the R&D + Production costs, whereas the optibays can be used with virtually any laptop (Mac or PC)... There is a much bigger market in that I suppose.
    But by all means, if you do find one let us know because I'd buy it :)

5. alex22alex macrumors newbie

I ewill post an update if i find anything. I 2 think i will buy a new external drive as you can get them off ebay very cheap !

6. Brazilian Joe macrumors newbie

/me too

I am also interested in the same thingie.

7. piwi macrumors regular

I quit searching. Apart from the Apple one for the MBA I couldn't find any.
    Meh, the SD sucks anyways I'd rather use the 50$ USB slim Samsung I bought than the SD.